Help! I Received a Defensible Space Notice and don't know what to do!
Did you receive a NOTICE OF DEFENSIBLE SPACE INSPECTION? If you received a notice, you may have questions about the meaning of the different requirements and specific hazards noted. Use the list below and click on an item to learn more about specific violations and requirements.
Juniper and Bamboo
Inspectors check boxes to indicate violations observed during inspections. Please select any boxes that were checked on the Hazard Notice left at your home to learn more about how to correct the violation.
- Pyrophytic Plants: Pyrophytic, combustible vegetation must be removed within 30' of structures and/or 10’ of roads or driveways.
- Remove all branches within 10’ of any chimney or stovepipe outlet.
- Remove all leaves, needles and dead vegetation on roofs, gutters, decks, porches, stairways, etc.
- Remove all dead and dying trees, branches, shrubs, and plants adjacent to buildings or overhanging roofs.
- Remove all dead grass, plants, shrubs, trees, branches, leaves, weeds and needles within 30’ of structures.
- Remove or separate live combustible ground cover and shrubs within 30’ of structures.
- Remove combustible vegetation and materials, on, adjacent to, or below combustible decks, balconies, stairs.
- Relocate exposed firewood or lumber outside of zone 1 unless covered in a fire resistive material.
- Cut annual grasses and forbs (weeds) to a maximum of 4” in height.
- Provide separation between shrubs and trees, with increased separation on slopes.
- Cut and remove all pyrophytic combustible vegetation within 30’ of structures.
- Remove all piles of accumulated dead vegetation on the property.
- Remove tree limbs and growth less than 3” diameter to 10’ above ground (or 1/3 the tree's height).
- Vegetation clearance adjacent to roads and/or driveways must be maintained 10’ horizontally and 14’ vertically.
- Address numbers must be 4” minimum, displayed in contrasting colors, and readable from the street.
- Equip all chimney or stovepipe openings with a metal screen having openings between 3/8” and 1/2”.
- Logs or stumps embedded in soil must be removed or isolated from vegetation within 100' of structures.
- Outbuildings & Propane (LPG) tanks must have 10’ of clearance to bare mineral soil.