The June 22-23 Chipper days wwre the most successful in Sleepy Hollow History! Thank you for making us a Firewise USA nationally recognized community!
Sleepy Hollow Fire Protection District and FIRESafe MARIN sponsor a “Chipper Days" each spring and fall for all residents of the District. To participate in any curbside chipper days, you must REGISTER ONLINE.
Online registration required! (Registration opens June 1, closes June 20)
WHAT WILL THE CREWS REMOVE?
Crews will dispose of larger materials that won't fit in your green waste cans (1"-6" diameter limbs, brush, branches, etc). Grass clippings, loose leaves, soft vegetation can't be chipped and must be disposed of in your green waste cans.
How to Make a successful Chipper Day
1. CREATE DEFENSIBLE SPACE
Please review the steps for creating Defensible Space is available at www.firesafemarin.org/defensible-space. The law requires that all property owners remove the flammable vegetation on your property to create a defensible space of at least 100 feet (PRC 4291).
2. STACK MATERIAL
- CHIPPER CREWS WILL DISPOSE OF UP TO 5 CUBIC YARDS OF CUT VEGETATION AT NO COST (APPROXIMATELY 4'X4'X8', STACKED).
- Limbs and branches, 1" to 6" diameter, brush, woody material, broom are OK! NO Grass, loose leaves, or soft plants (dispose of these in green cans, please). The chipper can only dispose of limbs, branches, and woody material.
- No material should be greater than 6” in diameter.
- Material should be freshly cut. "Green" chips are better than old, dry vegetation and cause less wear to the equipment.
- Stack material with the CUT ENDS FACING THE STREET!
- All vegetative material should be free of rocks, dirt and other foreign material that could damage the equipment. No lumber, fencing, or other materials may be chipped.
- Property owners may be asked to sign a record of the location and hours that were spent cutting the materials to be chipped.
3. WAIT FOR PICK-UP
Did we miss you? Be sure the material is stacked at the roadside, visible. Small amounts of material should be disposed of in green cans - chipper days are for large quantities (1-5+ cubic yards).
Thank you for helping make Sleepy Hollow a safer, FIREWISE community!